Our office is currently practicing social distancing. We are available to answer your questions. Please refer to our staff directory for contact information.
What is Sustainable Purchasing?
Sustainable Purchasing includes the acquisition of recycled content products, environmentally preferable products and services, bio-based products, energy- and water-efficient products, alternate fuel vehicles, products using renewable energy, and alternatives to hazardous or toxic chemicals.
Source: Office of Federal Sustainability (Formerly OFEE)
New Campus Standard for Copy Paper
UC Irvine is raising our commitment to support UCOP's practice of Environmentally Preferable Purchasing. To strengthen UC Irvine's responsibility toward preserving the environment and contributing to a greener campus, the decision was made, with the support of the Chancellor, to utilize 100% post-consumer waste (PCW) as our standard copy paper. 100% recycled paper with UC/UCI contracted pricing is available through UCIBuy.
Use Less Paper
Try to use less paper by minimizing what you print or by printing double-sided.
When ordering paper products such as copier and custodial paper use Green Seal Certified Products. Look for paper that:
- Is unbleached or uses no elemental chlorine or chlorine derivatives in the bleaching process (to avoid production of dioxins and other harmful chemicals)
- Has a low basis weight (such as 20 lb.) to minimize the use of fiber
- Has a high post-consumer recycled content
Choose ENERGY STAR Products
A government-backed program, ENERGY STAR helps businesses and individuals select products that protect the environment through superior energy efficiency and practices.
UCI has established a campus-based policy to require that when an "Energy Star" choice exists the required purchase will be the Energy Star product. This includes:
- Office equipment
- Refrigerators and freezers
- Vending machines
- All building mechanical components for which Energy Star ratings exist
- Equipment for new capital projects
- Ongoing purchasing, rented as well as purchased equipment, and procurements extending across all fund-sources.
These products use less energy, save money, and help protect the environment.
- UCOP Sustainability
- EPEAT (Electronic Product Environmental Assessment Tool)
- Energy Star
- Green Seal Certified Products
- LEED - Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design
- UCI Recycling - Paper, printer cartridges
- Office of Federal Sustainability (Formerly OFEE)
- UC Irvine Sustainability - Keeping the Campus Green
- U.S. EPA - Environmental Protection Agency
"The university will use its purchasing power to promote the availability of products that are resource-efficient, energy-efficient, water-efficient, and of recycled and rapidly renewable content for building materials, subsystems, components, equipment, and supplies." (see UC Green Policy Guidelines)
In addition, the UC policy on Green Building Design and Clean Energy Standards, and Sustainable Transportation Practices addresses how UC buildings will meet Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) standards for sustainability.