Our office is currently practicing social distancing. We are available to answer your questions. Please refer to our staff directory for contact information.
How to Process Purchasing Agreement
Solicit proposals for work costing $100,000 or more or submit a Source Selection & Price Reasonableness Justification Form (PDF). Document cost reasonableness for agreements less than $100,000.
|1. Review Independent Contractor, Consultant, or Employee||
|2. Refer to UC Policy||
- Review Conflict of Interest (DOCX) information
- UC employees (excluding those with teaching or research responsibilities) cannot contract with any University department to provide goods or services as independent contractors
In certain cases employees with research or teaching positions may be allowed to provide services as a contractor. Each case must be approved by Human Resources and the Director of Procurement Services.
- Because the process for engaging contractors is complex and varies from project to project, contact Contract Services at 949.824.6516 to discuss your requirements
- Be prepared to provide a detailed scope of work and other essential information
- Complete our Purchasing Agreement Intake Form (DOCX) and send it to email@example.com with your drafted Purchasing Agreement (DOC) and Purchasing Agreement Attachment A Statement of Work (DOCX)
- Sponsored project?
- Contact the appropriate Contract or Grant Officer for approval for work performed on a sponsored project. Email approval is acceptable
- Conflict of interest
- Establish whether the individual is related to a university employee and the relationship to that employee
- Is the individual a current or former UC employee? Review Restrictions for Contracting with Independent Contractors/Consultants
Note: in a limited number of cases, employees with research or teaching positions may be allowed to provide services as a contractor
- Worker's citizenship
- Provide country and visa status if worker is not from the United States
- If work is on a sponsored project or involves research activities, contact the appropriate Contract or Grant Officer
- If work is funded by a sponsored project, but is not a research activity, it is the department's responsibility to ensure that the grant award permits all of the following criteria:
- the use of the proposed contractor
- the type and dates of services to be provided
- the amount to be paid for services rendered
- Review insurance requirements stated in agreement with contractor
- Discuss any concerns with Risk Services at 949.824.6510
- Required internal forms
- Independent Contractor Pre-Hire worksheet (DOC)
- Source Selection & Price Reasonableness Justification form (PDF) for agreements for $100,000 or more
- Agreement form
- Initiate a KFS Requisition: KFS Business Contracts/Agreements Quick Reference Guide (PDF)
- Email draft agreement to Contract Services and include vendor name and KFS doc number in the subject line
- Agreements will be reviewed for adequate scope of work, completeness and compliance with policy
- When obtaining signatures circulate complete agreement including attachments, if any
- Be sure to forward entire agreement, including attachments, to the contractor
- When obtaining internal signatures ensure forms are also circulated
*If you have the name and email of the signatories for the contractors and your department, forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org. We can facilitate an electronic signature via Docusign.
When changes are made after obtaining any signature all parties must initial the change or sign the new version of the agreement
- The agreement will be reviewed for completeness, compliance with policy and applicable signatures
- A copy of the signed agreement will be sent to the department following execution
- Department forwards a copy to the contractor
Write the agreement number (KFS PO#) on the invoice and forward to Accounts Payable
- Use KFS to create a Requisition
- Ensure vendor is onboarded in KFS
- Requisition should include:
- Detailed scope of work
- Where work will be performed
- When the work will be performed
- Whether University supplies or equipment will be used
- Payment amount by the hour, day, month, or job
- Total Not to Exceed amount
- Attach all supporting documentation to the KFS Requisition. For contracts/agreements, email a word copy to email@example.com.
Contractual changes to any existing agreement requires an amendment (scope of work, duration, compensation, T&C's, etc.)
If payment is through a KFS PO, please initiate a KFS Amendment to the existing KFS PO with requested changes. Send a drafted amendment form to your designated analyst for review along with the corresponding KFS PO number for reference.